Do I need experience to work in a mine?
- TP Human Capital has various mining clients who have different role requirements and recruitment needs.
- Generally if applying for a mining position through TP Human Capital you will need a minimum 2 years experience.
If I don’t have mining experience what can I do?
- We recommend that you research the mining company’s websites as their HR departments will generally recruit directly for green-skins (inexperienced workers) or traineeships/apprenticeships and then commence their own training.
- Suitable trades recruited in the Mines that may not require Mining experience – Boilermaker, Diesel Fitter, Light Vehicle (LV) Fitter, Auto-Electrician
What qualifications will help?
- Trade certificates
- any machinery and operator tickets or site specific passouts
What inductions are needed?
- Completing a Generic Mining Induction (GMI) will not guarantee you a mining position and TP Human Capital recommend that you only attend a course once a role has been assigned to you.
- Each mining company has different site requirements and will specify what is required when you are accepted for work.
- Courses run regularly and TP Human Capital can assist you with booking any courses once you are successful in a role.
- These certificates are costly and expire so it best to attend only once they are needed.
If I get my medical beforehand does it help me get the job?
- Site medical requirements differ and usually specific company paperwork needs to be used so it may not be recognised by other organisations.
- Medicals expire so it may be a waste of your time and money.
What type of medicals might be required?
- Medical, including audio (hearing) and spiro (lung function)
- Drug and alcohol screen (pre-employment and random on-the-job)
- Blood lead (pre-employment and regularly during employment)
- Chest X-ray
- Functional capacity assessments / Physicals
I did a pre-employment medical three months ago, will this be okay?
- Not necessarily; medicals can have site specific requirements
- Whether you need to undertake more medicals before starting will be confirmed by the employer.
- Pre-employment medicals are valid for 12 months. Upon role confirmation, site specifics and medical requirements can be discussed
Fly In, Fly Out (FIFO)
- Primarily flights to mine sites services by TP Human Capital are from Townsville however there can be opportunities to fly from Brisbane and Cairns
What characteristics do I need?
Fit and healthy
- A pleasant attitude towards others
- Down-to-earth approach
- Displaying a high degree of safety-first (for yourself and others)
Suggestion: consider and practise your responses to these interview questions:
- What do you want to do in mining?
- Why have you chosen to pursue a career in mining?
- What have you done to gain a position in mining?
- What is your availability?
- Do you have any other commitments that may interfere with your choice?